School-Based Health Center Services
The school nurse can help you with the following needs each and every day of the week at no cost:
• First aid for minor accidents and injuries, with help getting further care when necessary.
• Acetaminophen or Ibuprofen for minor aches and pains.
• Assistance with chronic conditions such as asthma, diabetes, or eating disorders.
• Reproductive health services including pregnancy testing and condom availability, with appropriate information/counseling (ages 14 and up).
• General health counseling and/or health information.
• Educational support groups organized around specific health topics (e.g., smoking cessation, stress management).
EXPANDED MEDICAL SERVICES
Expanded medical services are also available with our pediatric nurse practitioners if you sign up for these services. If you are unsure if you have signed up for these services and would like to, we can help you.
• Diagnosis and treatment of illnesses such as strep throat, mono, and ear infections;
• Prescriptions and over-the-counter medications;
• Evaluation of recurring symptoms such as headaches or stomach pains;
• Assistance with chronic conditions, such as asthma, eating disorders, or diabetes;
• Reproductive health care including education and counseling; prescription contraception and contraception management; diagnosis and treatment of sexually transmitted infections; and pregnancy testing (for students 14 and up)
• Provision of routine lab tests, including hemoglobin, cultures, screenings for mono and strep;
• Medical health counseling;
• Rapid Assessment for Adolescent Services (RAAPS)- Routine risk behavior screening for students in grades 8-12.
• Referrals for off-site treatment.
EXPANDED COUNSELING SERVICES
The School Based Health Center partners with Kennebec Behavioral Health to offer students access to high quality counseling services for help coping with anxiety, depression, grief, social difficulties, difficulties balancing school with work and other responsibilities and other mental health challenges. These confidential counseling services are available to any student who is signed up for expanded counseling services in grades 6-12. If your child is in need of these services but you are unsure if they are signed up for expanded counseling services, please contact the Health Center and we will be happy to help you.
Services are provided at the High School Health Center and MS Wellness Center. Services are billed for through health insurance by Kennebec Behavioral Health. If a student’s family does not have health insurance, the team will work with the family on affordable payment options.
Being able to work directly with students, staff and parents at the school provides a unique opportunity to deliver counseling services in an environment that is familiar to the students and their families. It also encourages more effective communication/coordination between all of the people that share responsibility for the students’ healthy development. If you have any questions about these services call 685-4923, x1019.
ATHLETIC TRAINER SERVICES
Maine General Health Sports Medicine provides Athletic Trainer Services on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Fridays. The athletic trainer assesses and rehabilitates athletic injuries and educates athletes to avoid injury and stay healthy. Additionally, deals with muscular-skeletal problems that include injuries to bones, ligaments, and muscles and acts as a liaison between the athlete, parents, and the primary care provider to speed up recovery.
Students may sign themselves up to see the athletic trainer by visiting the Wellness Center at the Middle School and the Health Center at the High School. Please call with questions at 685-4923 x 1019.