July 22, 2022
Dear Students, Staff, Families and Community members,
I would like to provide information on how to access resources and support in light of the recent tragedy. What follows is a list of options available through the school, outside services, and/or at home resources for families.
1. First and foremost know that if your child is struggling with this tragedy and needs immediate connection to services I encourage you to reach out to your child’s building principal through email, who can help connect you with our building based guidance counselors for services. I am including administrators emails here for easy reference:
Maranacook Middle School:Dean of Students Rick Sirois - Rick_Sirois@maranacook.org
Manchester Elementary School: Principal Abbie Hartford - Abbie _Hartford@maranacook.org
Mount Vernon Elementary School: Principal Janet Delmar - Janet_Delmar@maranacook.org
Readfield Elementary School: Principal Jeff Boston- Jeff_Boston@maranacook.org
Wayne Elementary School: Principal Tina Brackley - Tina_Brackley@maranacook.org
2. Tuesday, July 26, 2022 Crisis and Counseling will be providing a student session from 11:45 am to 1:00 pm (more if needed) for Middle and High School Students. Families if you plan on using this service we ask that you please email Rick Sirois at the middle school by Monday afternoon for planning purposes.
3. If you have a student that accesses Kennebec Behavioral Health please know KBH have said they will prioritize services to Maranacook students at all levels due to the tragedy. If you need help contacting KBH please reach out to your building principal.
4. What follows is a small collection of services that are always available which can be accessed outside of the school setting:
You can connect with Maine specialists by dialing 211 or texting your zip code to 898-211. (24 hour a day access)
Crisis and Counseling 1-888-568-1112 (24 hour a day access)
Kennebec Behavioral Health 1-888-322-2136 (7:30am to 5:00pm Monday thru Friday)
Your Primary Care Physician
5. What follow is a few organizational websites specific to children and the grieving process:
Center for Grieving Children - https://www.cgcmaine.org/resources/
National Association of School Psychologists - https://www.nasponline.org/resources-and-publications/resources-and-podcasts/school-safety-and-crisis/mental-health-resources/addressing-grief
Finally, I am sharing Brooke’s obituary which has details of upcoming funeral arrangements. https://www.khrfuneralhomes.com/obituaries/brooke-mclaughlin
We will continue to assess needs across the district during the next several weeks and as the school year begins so as to continue to offer support and access to resources. Thank you to all in our communities as we all mourn this devastating loss with the family.
Superintendent of Schools